In 2013, the Kagome Group made revisions to its Environmental Policy, which was formulated in 1999, to achieve sustainability envisioned by the Group and upgrade its Environmental Management System (EMS) in a way that keeps pace with global trends. In the sixth medium-term environmental plan launched in 2016, we set goals for our environmental activities based on this revised policy through consultation with relevant departments, aiming to achieve our vision of how Kagome should be in ten years, that is, "To become a strong company capable of sustainable growth, using food as a means to resolve social issues."
In FY2016, we promoted environmental management in line with this Environmental Policy and the sixth medium-term environmental plan, by involving all Kagome Group companies worldwide.
At Kagome, we are thankful for the global environment that supports the lives of people with the blessings of nature. To keep our corporate activities in harmony with the global environment, we operate under the following environmental policy.
- 1.Careful consideration of ingredients and products
- Select environmentally-friendly ingredients with appropriate consideration for human health, striving to provide safe, valuable products.
- 2.Waste reduction and recycling of resources
- Seek ways to utilize natural resources efficiently while reducing waste.
- Endeavor to reduce CO2 emissions and help slow global warming.
- 4.Full participation of employees in environmental activities
- Ensure that environmental activities are carried out at all business sites.
Sixth Medium-Term Environmental Plan (FY2016 to FY2018)
Direction of the plan
We have set the following as our priority tasks by including ones for improving our environmental performance and making strategic moves for the future, in consideration of the internal and external trends of the company.
Many of the tasks are consistent with the SDGs* of the United Nations. By following the SDGs as one of our guidelines, we will continue striving to solve whatever issues we can by taking advantage of our strengths at Kagome.
*SDGs stands for Sustainable Development Goals. The United Nations has proposed 17 SDGs and 169 targets.
- - Reduce waste generated across the company and promote recycling
- - Protect water sources and reduce water consumption
- - Make categorical efforts to enhance environmental compliance
- - Rebuild the environmental management system (EMS) from the Group's perspective
Sixth Medium-Term Environmental Plan
|Environmental Policy||Action Guidelines
How to realize the Environmental Policy
|Sixth Medium-Term Environmental Plan
(FY2016 to FY2018)
| Careful consideration of ingredients and products
Select environmentally friendly ingredients with due consideration for human health, striving to provide safe, valuable products.
|(1) Promote sustainable procurement of agricultural ingredients||- Promote sustainable procurement of tomatoes to be processed in Japan
- Study sustainable farming of tomatoes processed globally
|(2) Introduce eco-friendly products||- Promote development and introduction of eco-friendly products|
| Waste reduction and resource recycling
Seek ways to utilize natural resources efficiently while reducing waste.
|(1) Promote maximum use of ingredients and resources and the 3Rs (reduce, reuse, and recycle)||Promote waste reduction in the process from ingredient procurement to product distribution
- Reduce waste generated in the procurement of ingredients and resources
- Reduce waste of products by strengthening the SCM function
|Promote waste reduction in sales activities
- Promote efficient use of promotional materials to reduce disposal of tools
|Promote resource recycling by recycling waste
- Maintain the rate of recycling plant by-products and sludge at 100%
- Maintain zero emissions at all seven plants in Japan
- Reduce the volume of by-products from production (to production volume) by at least 3%
- Increase the food recycling rate (maintain a level at 95% or higher)
|(2) Promote efficient use of water resources and protect water sources||- Reduce the specific water consumption at plants by at least 3%
- Give consideration to water sources around plants (water source protection at Kagome Forest)
- Visualize lifecycle water consumption for major products
| CO2 reduction
Endeavor to reduce CO2 emissions and help slow global warming.
|(1) Promote efficient use of energy resources and CO2 reduction||Promote management and reduction of CO2 emissions from Group companies in Japan
- Reduce specific energy consumption by at least 3% (comply with the revised Act on the Rational Use of Energy)
- Reduce CO2 emissions (production volume) by at least 3% at the seven plants in Japan
- Reduce CO2 emissions (production quantity of each variety) by at least 3% at Greenfarms for tomato cultivation
- Reduce CO2 emissions in the logistics process (sales volume in terms of weight) by at least 1% per five-year average
- Reduce specific CO2 emissions from offices by at least 3%
|- Visualize lifecycle CO2 emissions from major products|
| Full participation of employees in environmental activities
Ensure that environmental activities are carried out at all business sites.
|(1) Manage risk by enhancing compliance||- Ensure compliance with environmental laws
- Strengthen management of industrial waste
|(2) Rebuild EMS||- Practice environmental management at all business sites, including overseas sites
- Comply with the revised ISO 14001 and improve efficiency through company-wide integration
|(3) Provide information to stakeholders||- Offer environmental information outside Kagome.
- Offer information about Kagome's initiatives on farming